The storm raged outside. I know
people overuse the expression, but in this case, I wasn’t exaggerating. The
wind howled, trees screamed and groaned as they snapped and crashed to the
ground. Thunder shook the glass in the windows. The swirling darkness was
illuminated by flashes of lightning. It was the worst storm New England had
seen in years. But it had nothing on Cain.
I wasn’t sure what had caused his
mood. The tattooed redhead had been prowling around the Den, looking for a
fight all day. He had broken three punching bags, one floor to ceiling mirror,
three office chairs, and a lamp. Everyone had scattered and gone into hiding,
hoping to avoid his rage. Everyone but me.
“Penny for your thoughts?” I
prompted.
“Fuck off, Macy.”
“I would, but you wore out my lover
with your five hours or wrestling this afternoon.”
Cain grunted. “He’s a pansy.”
I didn’t bother commenting.
“What’s wrong?” I asked.
“Nothing.”
I rolled my eyes. “You are so full
of shit your eyes are brown.”
They weren’t brown, actually. They
were green. He stopped his pacing so close to me that I could feel the heat
radiating off of his skin.
“Why don’t you go hide with everyone
else?” he snarled.
I met his eyes levelly. “Because I
am not afraid of you. Stop being an ass and talk to me.”
“I wish you would just leave me
alone.”
“Liar.”
He growled. “That is so annoying.”
“Yeah, well, I wish people could lie
to me. It would make my life a lot more pleasant sometimes. Can you talk about
what’s pissing you off?”
“No.”
I nodded. The thunder crashed
outside. I held out my hand.
“Come with me,” I said.
He took my hand and followed. He
paused as I approached the door to outside.
“Ah, Macy,” Cain said. “Last I
heard, there was the storm of the century going on out there.”
“Yeah, and we’re missing it.” I
threw open the door.
Rain pelted down sideways. Debris
whipped past the doorway in the hurricane force winds. The darkness was broken
by a slash of lightning. It was anger personified.
“You coming?” I asked.
“Where?”
I indicated the chaos with my chin. “I’ll
race you to the course.”
He grinned. “Let’s go, little
sister.”
I ran out into the storm with Cain
at my side. The wind nearly knocked me over, but he pushed me back on balance
without slowing down. We ran full speed against the raging wind, dodging debris
and being slapped in the face by leaves and small branches. Cain howled beside
me, the lightning illuminating a mad grin on his handsome face.
We ran to the end of the obstacle
course. The thirty foot wall loomed out of the darkness. Cain leapt up against
it, sinking his claws into the wood and climbing. I stayed at the bottom and
watched him. He reached the top and stood with his legs braced against the
storm. He raised his arms over his head and roared into the wind. Lightning
stuck behind him, making a breathtaking silhouette.
When we returned to the Den, Shane
was waiting at the door looking worried.
“What the hell were you doing out
there?” he demanded.
Cain walked calmly past him, patting
his shoulder. Shane cocked his head and watched him go. He looked back at me.
“What happened? He was raging all
day.”
I put my arms around my lover,
soaking his clothes as the rainwater dripped off my hair.
“Some of us need to say ‘fuck you’
to the world more spectacularly than others,” I said.
No comments:
Post a Comment