Sunday, January 1, 2012

Introducing Shane

Here is an exerpt from the urban fantasy novel I am currently editing in hopes of publishing. It's from the third chapter, but it's one of my favorite scenes. Hope you enjoy...

Sam joined us after the show. He wore a faded pair of jeans, a black muscle shirt, and the purple fake eyelashes. He smiled at Randy and me.
            “You like the show?” he asked in his normal deep voice.
            “It was great,” Randy said. “I’ve never been to a drag show before. I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks.”
            “It’s such a shame you’re strait,” Sam shook his head. “Let’s go to Jack’s. We need to find a guy for Macy and a fine mama for Randy.”
            “I can find my own men,” I said.
            Jack’s was our favorite bar. It was only a block down from the drag club that Sam worked at. It was gay friendly but not as garish as The Dancing Queens. Sam liked to go there after he had pranced around as Bambi for a few hours.
            The music was loud, the beer was cheap, the whores were clean, and the bouncers easy-going. Sam went right onto the dance floor. I went to the bar with Randy.
            “You don’t need to stay with me,” I said. “You’re more likely to pick up a girl if you’re not hanging next to me.”
            “I’m not interested in a girl,” Randy said.
            I glanced over as I ordered us two beers.
            “No?”
            “No.”
            Randy tried to engage me in conversation, and I used the noise of the bar as an excuse not to encourage him. He wasn’t my type. It was late and I was tired. I had an early day tomorrow. Benny had a new employee he wanted me to show around. He had a few jobs he wanted us to do together.
            Sam left the dance floor to join us at the bar.
            “You fishing tonight?” he asked.
            “I don’t fish, I hunt,” I said.
            “Well, any prime game tonight?”
            “I wasn’t looking.”
            Sam elbowed me in the ribs and grinned at Randy. “She thinks she’s such a hot shit she can pick and choose any guy in here.”
I smiled sweetly. “I can.”
            “Prove it.”
            I rolled my eyes and looked around the dance floor. No one caught my eye. I looked down the bar. It was L shaped and long. There were a few men sitting on the far end beside the old fashioned juke box. I picked the biggest meanest looking one.
            “That one,” I said, pointing with my beer before finishing the last of it. Randy and Sam followed my gaze.
            “The one that looks like he’d kill his own mother for a nickel?” Randy asked.
            I looked again. He was a giant of a man, at least as tall as Sam but built for football and other contact sports rather than impersonating women. His skin tone and features were Slavic. It was too dark in the bar to see his eye color. He wore leather pants, black biker boots, a tight black shirt with a skull and crossbones, and a black bandana over his hair. His wasn’t handsome. His features were too harsh. He had a scar that slashed through one dark eyebrow and down his cheek and neck. It was the way he stood that set him apart from the rest. He was a predator.
            “I want that one,” I said.
            “Are you insane?” Randy asked.
            I set my beer on the bar and stood up.
            “You’re not serious are you?” Randy caught my arm.
            “Yep.”
            “I’m not letting you go over there.”
            Sam shook his head. “Now you did it.”
            I twisted out of Randy’s grip and whistled sharply in the big predator’s direction. He looked up at me, raising one eyebrow. I pointed at him and crooked a finger in the classic come hither fashion. The grin that settled on his fallen-angel lips assured me I’d picked the right man for a good time.
            He walked over and looked me up and down with obvious interest. He ignored the two men standing around me.
            “You’re the first little girl who hasn’t been afraid of the big bad wolf,” he said in a rough voice that made my heartbeat pick up. It was a good line, even on humans who wouldn’t have realized he was a werewolf.
            I stepped closer to him. “I’m not Little Red Riding Hood,” I said, running my fingers lightly over the cross bones on his shirt. “My Daddy taught me how to skin the big bad wolf.”
            He grinned, flashing me with his fangs. He must have realized I wasn’t human. I doubted he knew what I was. I wasn’t going to tell him. Shifters were forbidden to screw a variety of other supernatural creatures. I wasn’t going to lose out on what was looking to be one hell of an orgasm due to politics.
            “You planning on skinning me?” he asked.
            “Depends on if you’re a good boy or not.”
            He grinned again and it was all fang. None of the men standing around me seemed to notice. Werewolf magic worked well to keep people from noticing things that should have been obvious.
            “Want to dance?” I asked.
            “No. But I can take you for a ride,” he pulled a key ring from his pocket and dangled them in front of me. “Then you can ride me after. Unless your boy toys object?” He glanced at Sam and Randy for the first time.
            “She makes up her own mind,” Sam said, instinctively lowering his eyes. “And if you misbehave, she’ll skin your sorry ass.”
            The werewolf turned his eyes, which were a stunning wolfish amber at that moment, on Randy. Randy was vibrating with anger and challenge. One look was all it took to break him. He looked down.
            “You obviously wear the pants out of the group,” the werewolf said to me. “I’m no puppy dog, Baby. Sure you can handle me?”
            I grabbed the metal chain that was around his neck and gave it a yank. “I want my ride.”
            He rumbled a sound of approval deep in his chest.
            “I’ll give you one. Let’s go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment