Much of what I do is completely thankless work. I am primarily talking about my job working with special needs. While it is very rewarding, it is also the most frustrating profession I can think of. The hardest thing to figure out is when they are actually unable to understand something because of their disability, or are just being manipulative because they think they can get away with it. What do you tell someone when they look at you in tears and ask, "why am I not like everyone else?" I havent found the right words to make it ok. I dont think there are any. The sad reality is that life just isn't fair. I try really hard to put as bright a spin on their realities as I can, but sometimes I just give them a hug and say, "yeah, it really sucks." So after one of those conversations, when they start throwing a tantrum about something, it's usually easy to react calmly and redirect them. But there has to be a line. They can't use their disability as an excuse to be lazy or nasty to other people.
Outside of my job, I have a bad habit of doing too much. I have a hard time saying no to anyone, and tend to do things even when not asked. Then I get annoyed when I don't get enough credit for things no one asked me to do and that aren't really noticable. It's a vicious cycle. Luckily, I am in love with someone who snaps me out of it, reminds me to take time for me and stop doing too much. I've managed to slow down for the last week or so, which has been great.
So I wrote something here. Tada
No comments:
Post a Comment