Saturday, December 21, 2013

Six word stories and Christmas

I'm a day late. Christmas shopping took much longer than expected yesterday and I never got a chance to sit down and write. I did end the night reading for a bit, so I hope that counts. I have a few very short stories for today. I forget which famous writer created the idea of a six word story. The important part is I like the idea of trying to tell a complete story in only six words. Here are a few I came up with over the week. It's a lot harder than you would think.


Seventeen. Tired eyes. Good dog. Goodbye.

Black and blue. Cast, crutches. Worth it.

Third home. Pleading eyes. Love me?


Broken promises. Lost trust. Naked finger.

Clasped hands. Closed eyes. Beep. Silence.

So all of these seem very sad, but I guess it's easier to tell a sad story in six words than a happy one. I'll try to make a few that aren't so depressing, seeing as it's Christmas and all.

Run downstairs. Presents under tree. Magic.

Hand in hand. Promises made. Story started.

Christmas carols. Sung off-key. Strangely perfect.

Ok, so there are some happy ones. I will admit I just spat them out real fast, so they lack true story telling magic, but I have cookies to make and presents to wrap.

On a totally different note, I think we take political correctness too far this time of year. Everyone is always looking for reasons to be offended. It's never made sense to me, seeing as this time of year, in each religion/society, is supposed to be about love, giving, and appreciating what we have. We should all stop looking for reasons to be angry, annoyed, and offended, and just be happy that someone cares about us enough to wish us well. The exact words they use shouldn't matter. So that being said, Merry Christmas, (Happy Holidays if you insist) and I wish everyone happiness and health.

No comments:

Post a Comment