I have spent the past hour trying to find a way to summarize 78,000 of my words into an intricate dance of intriguing prose, also known as a query letter for an agent. How is anyone supposed to cram everything that happens in 78,000 words into one paragraph? How can you really present your story when you are only supposed to mention one or two names? What about the main character's cross-dressing housemate, or the eighty-seven year old landlord wielding a wooden spoon? I can't mention the adorable blue haired werewolf or the four hundred forty year old Alpha werewolf who discovers a sense of humor thought long dead. I don't get to describe the main character's scoundrel of a boss. (short exerpt from the novel: He looked like a demented leprechaun on a two week bender.) I can't summarize the emotion of the lovers, and a query letter is too short to include enough of my witty off-colored humor and still make my point. So after an hour, I have three paragraphs without structure, no idea what to write as a hook, and a bunch of characters in my head yelling at me to get my act together and convince some agent that I am brilliant.
Procrastination will continue....
No comments:
Post a Comment