Thursday, December 1, 2011

In Perspective

I was fully engrossed in a foul mood this morning. I have barely slept because of a random bout of insomnia and I had a really long day involving two jobs, a 3 hours commute, and grocery shopping, to look forward to. While trying to strangle my steering wheel to relieve some stress and drinking enough coffee to make a horse twitch, something occurred to me. What was I really upset about? I was tired. I had a really long day ahead of me. But was there really a reason to embrace rage? I had coffee and a muffin and a few decent music stations for my commute. I had people at my office job I hadn't seen in a while and enjoy talking with. I ended up having a nice quiet night at the restaurant at job two with a few truly interesting people who tipped well. But at 7 AM before the coffee had really absorbed, I wasn't able to fully realize any of that. What did strike me and allow me to relax was the fact that my best friends were having a baby. I thought about the father-to-be, my friend since high school, hovering and being the wonderful supportive husband I have seen him to be. I thought about his wife, who is one of the best mothers, and strongest women I have ever met. And I relaxed into my chair, turned the radio up and smiled. I had nothing to stress over. Soon I would get to meet baby Alex and see that look in his parents eyes. Someday I want that look to be in my eyes, but not today. Because if I had to suffer through my hellish long day and come home to two babies, then there'd really be a reason to scream.
In all seriousness, my thoughts are with my friends and their baby, who is being stubborn about coming into the world. I can't wait to meet him, so I hope he hurries up about the whole being born thing.

1 comment: